Consultancy Announcement Research on Public Financial Management: mechanisms, stakeholders and NGO profiles
The NGO Forum on Cambodia is a membership organization consisting of local and international NGOs. It exists to coordinate and equip members, networks of NGOs, and other civil society organizations to actively engage in policy dialogue, debate, and advocacy with and for poor and vulnerable people in Cambodia related to Development Issues, Environment and Land & Livelihood.
Central to Cambodia’s ongoing social and economic development, improved public financial management is a core value. Consistent with the goal is the ongoing commitment to Public Financial Management Reform Program (PFMRP). The primary goal of PFMRP is to ensure that public financial system is effective and efficient, which will improve fiscal management to help achieve development outcomes. The capacity of NGOs to understand the complexities and processes of the PFM is very important. Many NGOs lack of knowledge about national and sector financial management. Research on these issues will be conducted to collect data and analyze the PFM mechanisms, stakeholders and NGO profiles for the benefit of relevant stakeholders. The research results will be used as a concrete tool for designing strategic work plans and training purposes for member NGOs in the Budget Working Group (BWG) and Develop Issues Forum (DIF). The research will provide a strategic view of entire public financial management in Cambodia based on existing frameworks, reform programs and practices at the national, sector and sub national levels. In addition, it will provide a strategic map for BWG and DIF members to have clearer understanding of public financial management in Cambodia, especially the linkage to sector development strategies.
Therefore, the NGO Forum on Cambodia through the Development Issues Program is seeking a qualified consultant to conduct a Research on Public Financial Management: mechanisms, stakeholders and NGO profiles.
- To analyse public financial management on mechanisms, stakeholders and NGO profiles based on the PFM frameworks, and practices at the national, sector and sub-national levels for the purpose of providing capacity development for member NGOs in BWG and DIF.
- A research report with 20-30 pages in English and 40-50 pages in Khmer (Base understanding, PFM mapping, NGO profiles
- A brief report with 3 pages in English and 6 pages in Khmer
- Two presentations by the consultant to relevant stakeholders
- The consultant shall submit all inputted data by active file (e.g. Ms. Excel and/or Ms. Word)
- All the research document must be submitted to NGO Forum in soft and hard copy.
- What are the existing frameworks that shape PFM in Cambodia?
- With these frameworks what are the existing mechanisms?
- Who are the main stakeholders in PFM and what are their roles?
- What are the profiles of NGOF’s members working on PFM-related issues?
- What should be the effective roles of NGOs in PFM?
- Lessons learnt and challenges of the research
- Recommendation for further research
Draft PFM research report:
Roles and responsibilities
Consultant: the consultant is obliged to carry out these activities assigned to him/her as mentioned in the Terms of Reference. The consultant works under the guidance of the Development Issues Programs Manager of the NGO Forum on Cambodia.
Line for communication and reporting
DIP Manager is the focal-point person at the NGO Forum for the Consultant.
Timeframe/duration of consultancy
The total man/day for the consultancy work is around 50 man/days. The consultant will comment the work from the beginning of May to Mid July, 2015.
Qualification for consultant
- Advanced degree or master degree in economic development, policy analysis or related subjects;
- Proven analytical experience in extensive economic and social research, policy and law analysis within Cambodia is necessary;
- Experience of research on public sector budget, PFM or development
- Substantive knowledge on development issues especially on development framework, government policies, and NGOs’ work in Cambodia context is a must;
- Good understanding of the Cambodia’s public finance management system
- Excellent communication, writing, reporting skills (Khmer and English) and the ability to communicate at all levels;
- Excellent in the usage of computers and office software packages.
Qualified and interested candidates shall submit methodology and financial research proposal and other necessary supporting documents (e.g. CV and previous publications) with a cover letterto the NGO Forum via e-mail: email@example.com no later than April 26, 2015 (5:00 pm). For more details about the NGO Forum please visit our website: www.ngoforum.org.kh. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. The NGO Forum commits to its policies and adheres to child protection policy. Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.