In 2016, there are about more than 300 million of indigenous peoples from 70 countries throughout the world are going to celebrate its 22nd of the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples on special themes “Indigenous Peoples and Education”. The theme will focus on the indigenous peoples’ issues to access to the education service, the promotion of appropriate education to indigenous peoples and other facing issues related to indigenous peoples.
CSOs in Cambodia cooperate with Ministry of Rural Development to organized the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples on 09 August 2016 at Center of Sport of Kompong Speu Province. There are around 1000 participants join this event. This year, the International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples on special themes “Indigenous Peoples and Education”.
The overal objective is to enhance indigenous people’s rights through public recognition and to raise people’s general awareness of indigenous people’s culture and issues in the Kingdom of Cambodia.
1. To promote indigenous peoples’ access to education services, as improving indigenous peoples’ education remains a critical challenge for indigenous peoples.
2. To enhance recognition and respect for the rights of indigenous people in Cambodia, especially on the accepted that indigenous peoples as indigenous distance to the management of land and natural resources in accordance with national and international law related to rights of indigenous people in light with international campaign #LandRightsNow #CLT
3. To seek both national and international support for awareness of the general conditions of indigenous people, in particular, awareness on managemnt of land, forest and land registration.
In 2016, the celebration is in different places both national and provincial levels as bellow:
1. National level: the celebration will be held on 9th August 2016 at Kompong Speu province. This event is co-organized with MRD.
2. Provincial level: the celebration will be held on 9th August 2016 at different places as below:
- Busra village, Busra commune, Peach Chreada district, Mondulkiri province (CIYA)
- Dakdam commune, Orang District, Mondulkiri province (CIYA)
- Laoka village, Romnea commune, Senmonorom district, Mondulkiri province (CIYA)
- Prome commune, Tbeng Meanchey district, Preah Vihear province (PKH)
- Bankoeun Phal village, Rumtum commune, Rovieng district, Preah Vihear province (OPKC)
- Tropaingtotim village, Rumtum commune, Rovieng district, Preah Vihear province (OPKC)
- Siembok commune, Siembok district, Stung Treng province (IRAM)
- Kbal Romes commune, Stung Treng province (CIYA)